1.13.2009

cocorosie

yesterday one of my great friends leslie's younger sister jaime (another of my great friends) asked me if I know this group called COCOROSIE? I said, no, but went on to google them, and while I was she sent me this...I started to watch and thought "what the hell" but I had to keep watching.





Turns out Biana and Sierra Casady are sisters from France in their late twenties. The NY Times refers to them as "freak folk" (read the full 7 page article here) while videostatic refers to them as "strangely beautiful". I'm still not 100% sure of how I view them, but apparently PRADA found them cool enough to allow them to perform at their 08 NY fashion week party of theirs as well as do the soundtrack to one of their animated promos. Check this video with their neon/glow in the dark makeup.



Anyway you look at it. Whether if you like them, don't like them, or maybe just don't care, you can't deny that they are definitely interesting to look at. In fact, Coco (Bianca) almost always wears a line drawn above upper lip adding a mustache to her flat face. Suggestive? Yes. What is it suggesting? Not sure! But their lavish costumes and over the top makeup or face paint rather is just the half of it. Listen to these girls voices! While you're add it, try and find the numerous natural animal noises, and wind up toy sound effects that are know to be hidden in the beats of their music. I agree with videostatic (read story here) when they say that their voices "fall somewhere between Bill Holiday and the Cryptkeeper"!

All in all I would say that they are true to their art and march to the beat of their own drum. They certainly did not sprout up as soon as it got cool to make tracks that are heavily electronic based with voices that sound either digitized or purposely manipulated (like it is now), nope, the girls have been around for some time now. Check this amazing video from 2005 for their song "Noah's Ark" and other interesting images showcasing cocorosie's own signature style. What do you think?







check their myspace and hear their music here

(thanks jaime)

No comments: